New Work to BACC

I took a trip to Bigfork today to drop off some new work for the Christmas season.

I created three new smaller pieces (5″ x 7″) since those seem to sell quickly. This one is called Summer Dreams.

This one is Solitude.

And the last one is Autumn Dreams.

I also took this much larger one (18″ x 24″) called Overlook.

This water lily piece that is called Tranquility (12″ x 12″).

And this piece which is called The Trail of the Cedars (18.5″ x 15.25″).

Here’s a close up of the stitching.

So if you’re in the area and you’re looking for some great gifts, check out BACC in Bigfork, MT.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are all staying safe and have a great holiday season!

Two More White Samples

I hope you aren’t getting tired of seeing white samples. Perhaps it’s to make up for all those color samples that happened before.

This one is trapunto. I used wool to stuff with and I can see the change in color of the “white” wool through the silk that is on top. It’s not a big deal but you can see the edges where the wool didn’t fill the stitched shape completely.

This one is shadow quilting. I used a heavy interfacing to cut out the bark shapes and then back stitched around them.

Have a great weekend!

Confetti Applique Sample

This week, I got another applique sample completed. This one is called “confetti” applique. I thought the technique would look great as foliage, so I immediately thought of trees and the forest. Not surprising, huh?

I started with an iced dyed background and added some trunks. This is a machine stitch applique so on to some free motion stitching. I did back the piece with two layers of Lutradur fused together that I had from a prior class assignment. It’s fairly sturdy for adding free motion stitching on top but quite thin.

I stitched the trunks in place and added some branches. Now on to the confetti. I forgot to take photos in process, but I essentially shredded some fabric in different fall leaf colors with my rotary cutter. Then I used BoNash powder to fuse these scraps under a layer of tulle.

I did the further trees with a yellowish brown tulle and the foreground trees with a brighter orange or red tulle. Then I free motion stitched it all into place.

Here’s the finished sample. I liked this technique and I would have done more with the background if it was to be a finished piece but it’s just a sample. I have some ideas on creating a larger piece this way. Note to self, finish background before adding trees and foreground.

Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend.


Color Overlays and More Color Studies

I have been still working on color studies but with the holidays, I didn’t get a lot done. The one above is hand stitched with satin stitch.

And here is the machine stitched one for this week. It was hard to get a good photo especially since it seems to be dark here most of the time.

Then I did some color overlay exercises. These are done with a variety of sheer fabrics.

These are also really hard to take a photo of especially in the low light.  So the colors aren’t really true here.

These are interesting to do as the sheer fabric doesn’t always look like you think it will when you put it over a different color. But it’s fun playing with color. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Printed Roses on Felt

I showed you this print a couple of weeks ago.

Printed Roses on Felt

It was printed on pre felt so I felted it down and then free motion stitched around the roses and stitched in some leaves.

Roses Complete

Here’s the completed piece. I can’t decide how I should “frame” or present it. I kind of like the wavy edges and I think I might attach it to another piece of felt or fabric or on to a canvas. Haven’t found the right color yet though.

Roses Complete Close Up

Here’s a little closer view of the stitching. Have a great weekend!