I opened up the package of paper that I put together last week with leaves in between. The photos aren’t the best but you can see a bit how they turned out. I am really pleased with them and need to iron them now. The maple leaves seem to have achieved the best prints. The pages aren’t as orange as they show in the photos.
I spent most of the day today finishing the felting on the third roof piece for the yurt with my friend Paula. Only one more piece of felt left and the yurt will be ready to go. I will be very happy when it is finished!
My local group met today at my house and we did some natural dyeing and eco-printing. Luckily, we had a sunny day and it didn’t get too cold until later in the afternoon.
First we bundled up a bunch of paper with leaves, tied up the packages in cardboard and started steaming the paper.
Then we made a bunch of different dye pots – this one was with onion skins.
This one was walnut dye.
Barberry seeds and leaves went into this pot.
I poured about half a bottle of Turmeric into this pot.
This one has eucalyptus leaves. These aren’t the fresh kind so we weren’t sure what they would do.
And then we had some synthetic indigo.
We soaked the leaves and the silk and wool in vinegar water.
Then we started putting leaves over the fabric. This is a piece of silk that I had started. I added a lot more after this photo.
This one is Louise’s scarf laid out and ready to roll up into a bundle.
Here are the pots all cooking away on their little stoves.
Here’s the indigo pot with some fabric put in and soaking. I’m not sure we followed the directions properly on this but we got blue so I guess that is good enough.
A couple of the cook stoves didn’t work properly so I took a few pots inside and used the stove. This is the Turmeric one cooking.
And the eucalyptus one behind it.
Here’s the only finished items I have to show you. This is wool thread that I put into various pots. The dark blue and light blue are both indigo. The deep reddish-brown is onion skins, the yellowish one is turmeric and the green one is from the barberry. The colors are wonderful and I like them all. I’ll show you some more fabric and the eco-prints once they are done. The eco-prints need to sit for another couple of weeks so we’ll have to wait to see how they came out. Remember, patience is a virtue.
I have been being a tourist this week as we had company. We took a long ride through Glacier National Park and went to Many Glaciers. I had never been on that side of the park and it is really beautiful.
This is a view from the back deck of the lodge there. While we were on the deck, we saw a grizzly bear up on the mountain side. It was a long ways away so I didn’t take a photo but you could see the bear really well through binoculars.
I mainly take photos that look like the one above when I’m in the park. I am always looking at bark, lichens and rock.
There were some interesting dead trees too. 🙂
I finally got all my paints that I had ordered so I finished my color wheels today. I was waiting on primary cyan and primary magenta for this three primary wheel.
I also painted a six primary wheel today too.
Earlier this week, I did a bit of dyeing. My sister wanted to have one of her blouses over dyed. I forgot to take a photo but it turned out well. I had three white shirts that I never seem to wear so I thought I would ice dye them. Because I did the dyeing in a jar, the dye didn’t get all the way through the shirts. I do kind of like how they turned out. I might over dye them but I think I will wait on that right now.
This is my favorite one. It was dyed with black and yellow.
This one is really bright. But I guess I can wear it for Saint Patrick’s Day!
I spent most of the day today dyeing a variety of fibers green plus a piece of silk. I’m planning a new project which includes nuno felting.
Here’s some locks in the dye pot.
And here they are drying out.
I was trying for a variety of greens.
This is a portion of the silk I dyed. It is 3 yards of 5mm silk.
It is also mottled green. As usual my fingers are a bit green as well 🙂